Home coronavirus test kits are in high demand and hard to find, but here are the best options we have found. Also, you can order free tests today.
Starting January 18, 2022 (or Jan. 19 in some locations), you can order a pack of 4 free Covid tests from the federal government at:
Everything is free, including shipping, but you should expect delays.
If you want something sooner, you should check Walmart or Amazon. These kits are priced at around $20 and come with two tests:
- For quickest availability, try ordering this BinaxNOW test from Walmart for same-day pickup:
- Another option is Amazon, which has similar Covid test kits; here are the top two bestselling Covid tests:
- Another place to look is at a stock tracker such as Now In Stock.
Pay close attention to the delivery date or pickup date before you place your order. Delivery times from Amazon can range from 1 to 15 days, depending on your location and when you order.
Walmart offers same or next-day curbside pickup at some locations, or free delivery if you order two kits (Walmart home delivery is free when your order exceeds $35). To check on Covid test availability near you:
- Visit https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/142089281
- Look for a “Pickup available” location and add the product to your cart.
- If you see “Pickup not available” then click on “Check on availability nearby” as shown below.
Other Options For Home Test Kit
Many big retailers and drug stores also offer Covid test kits but are low on stock. To check for availability near you, Google:
covid home test kit near me
Walmart and Target are good for telling you if the kit is available or out of stock. However, most other store websites will say “Visit your store to see if it’s available,” which is not very helpful.
How to Perform and Read The Test
Covid at-home test kits require you to swab both nostrils and put the swab into the test kit. In 15 minutes you view the test result. Below is a video from Abbott Labs on how to use their BinaxNOW kit that is available from Walmart.
Covid Test Kit Reimbursement
If you do purchase a home Covid test, you may qualify for reimbursement from your insurance plan. (Medicare, however, does not cover home Covid test kits.) For details visit: