One way to keep up with friends, colleagues and classmates is to subscribe to the ObitMessenger service, which will search through obituaries every day.
This service, from Legacy.com, searches through obituaries from 900 newspapers every day and sends you an email whenever it finds an obituary that matches your search criteria.
To set it up:
- Register for a free ObitMessenger account. Enter your name, email address and other information. Then select your alert frequency (daily or weekly) for how often you want emails with your search results.
- Set up a keyword alert for ObitMessenger to watch for, and tell you about. For example, to keep a lookout for obituaries for Duke University alumni and employees, put “Duke University” in the Add Keyword field. Then select Include All Obituary Sources to have all 900 newspaper affiliates searched every day. Then click Save.
- Add more keyword alerts if you want to create more searches. For example, to search alerts for obituaries for people born in a certain town, enter the town name in the Add Keyword field.
Note that ObitMessenger searches only newly published obituaries. If you want to search previously published obituaries, follow these steps:
Visit the Legacy.com Search Page
- Select your search. You can search by name and/or keyword.
- For example, to find all obituaries for General Motors employees: 1. Click on Search by Keyword. 2. Enter “general motors” in the Keyword field. 3. Select the date range, such as Past 30 Days or All Time. 4. Click Search.
- To view all the obituaries for a specific town or city, select it at: Legacy.Com Local Search
You can find more resources at Legacy.Com such as:
- How to Write an Obituary
- Writing Your Own Obituary
- How to Find an Obituary
- Video Funerals during Coronavirus Epidemic
- How to Pre-Plan a Funeral
- Latest Celebrity Obituaries (see video below for June obituaries)
About Legacy.Com (from company website)
Legacy.com is the place where the world pauses to embrace the power of a life well-lived. We believe that a single life story can provide extraordinary inspiration, even after that person has died. So we champion every life, knowing it can connect us in unexpected, powerful ways.
Today, Legacy.com is the global leader in online obituaries, a top-50 website in the United States, and a destination for over 40 million unique visitors each month around the world. Founded in 1998, Legacy.com is honored to serve users by partnering with more than 1,500 newspapers and 3,500 funeral homes across the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Europe. These partnerships provide easy ways for consumers to express condolences, share direct support for families, and celebrate the people who have touched their lives.
Legacy.com’s partners benefit from our unparalleled scale, which enables continuous innovation of our industry-leading obituary products and accompanying cross-platform e-commerce engine. Legacy.com is a privately held company headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, with additional offices in Burbank, California and London, England.